Harvest is the theme for this month’s Garden Share Collective update. Thank you Kate from Rosehips & Rhubarb and Kyristie from A Fresh Legacy for hosting the GSC. In the garden we know it’s the end of November because the poinciana tree is beginning to flower. And in the veggie patch, eggplants and cucumbers are in abundance.
With the main growing season in the sub-tropics finished, there is not a great deal to harvest this month. However, we are picking a large number of cucumbers at the moment. Love using them fresh and in dips and pickles but like all harvest periods, there is always the question: What is do with the excess? The extras we can’t use go to our local Jamaica Blue Café in Cooroy. Nick, the proprietor, has set up a stand where locals can share, or donate to charity, their spare produce. A great system and community activity. Onya Nick!
WHAT’S GROWING NOW
- Finger limes
- The last of the cherry tomatoes
THINGS TO DO
- Keep an eye out for pests and disease
- Plant some more corn and lettuce
- Plant a green manure crop in some of the beds that need a rest.
- Watering …. and watering!
- Keep harvesting those cucumbers…